Privacy at Risk: The Controversial Reality of Google’s Facial Data Collection from Children
Here are 8 sentences you will be unable to un-read today:
- Google is collecting the eyelid shape and skin tone of children via parent submitted videos.
- Working on Google’s behalf, TELUS is offering parents $50 to film their children wearing various props such as hats or sunglasses as part of the Project.
- Google will collect facial geometry. Video recording (without voice).
- The child will also need to show a form of identification.
- The project requires that those being filmed are minors.
- The task will be completed in a participant’s home or private premises.
- Google will “retain the data as long as needed to fulfill the Purposes.
- A diverse set of end-users is needed to help improve the authentication methods, thus offering more secure tools for the end users.
(sourced/lifted/paraphrased from: 404 Media)